- - 1 1/2 ounces grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- - 1/4 cup whole wheat dry breadcrumbs
- - 2 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- - 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- - 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- - 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- - 8 3oz chicken breast tenders (serves two tenders per person for a total of about 5oz cooked/person)
- - 1 tablespoon butter
- - 2 cups bottled fat-free tomato-basil pasta sauce (such as Muir Glen Organic, serves about ½ cup per person)
- - 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- - 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- - 1/2 cup (2 ounces) Low Fat shredded provolone cheese
Combine 2 tablespoons of Parmesan, breadcrumbs, parsley, basil, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a shallow dish. Place egg white in a shallow dish. Dip each chicken tender in egg white; dredge in the breadcrumb mixture. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done. Set aside.
Combine pasta sauce, vinegar, and pepper in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; vent. Microwave sauce mixture at HIGH 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Pour the sauce over chicken in pan. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining Parmesan and provolone cheese. Wrap handle of pan with foil, and broil 2 minutes or until the cheese melts.
Serving suggestions: Serve with grilled vegetables like zucchini, asparagus or a spinach salad if you are in stage 3, OR with whole grain pasta if you are in stage 7.
Calories 380; Carbohydrates 16g; Fat 12g; Protein 40g; Recipe Yield 4 servings
Author Adapted by Azucena Gamarra, MS, RD, CD from Cooking Light