- - 3 cups cooked long grain brown rice
- - 6 ounces of cooked chicken breast, shrimp, or tofu, cut into pieces
- - 1 red pepper, cut into small chunks
- - 3 scallions, sliced thinly
- - 1 cup frozen peas
- - 2 Tbsp canola or light sesame oil
- - 3 slices ginger (1/8 inch thick), sliced
- - 3 cloves garlic, minced
- - 4 egg whites or ½ cup Eggbeaters, whisked
- - 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- - 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1. Prepare all vegetables and have at hand.
2. Preheat a large wok or skillet for 2 minutes over high heat. Before the pan begins to smoke, add the 2 Tbsp of canola or light sesame oil and swirl to coat all cooking surfaces. Do not allow to smoke. Add the ginger slices and minced garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute. It should sizzle and brown a bit. Remove now if desired.
3. Add the rice and toss around to coat with the oil and heat through. Add the vegetables and continue to stir-fry for 2 minutes.
4. Make a well in the center of the rice and vegetable mixture. Add 1 tsp dark sesame oil and then the whisked egg whites (or Eggbeaters). Scramble until partially cooked and then stir into the rice and vegetable mixture, stir-frying until egg is set.
5. Sprinkle with the desired amount of low-sodium soy sauce; toss to combine.
Calories 380; Carbohydrates 44g; Fat 13g; Protein 24g; Serving Size 1 cup; Recipe Yield 4 servings