- - 8 (1/2-ounce) slices thin-slice rye bread (Try to use bread with <100 caloriess per slice or Oroweat Sandwich Thins for a lower calorie bread)
- - 1/4 cup fat-free or low fat Thousand Island dressing
- - 8 (1/2-ounce) thin slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- - 1/4 cup refrigerated sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- - 16 (4oz per sandwich) ounces deli, low-sodium turkey breast (such as Boar's Head)
Spread one side of each bread slice evenly with 1 1/2 teaspoons dressing. Place one cheese slice on dressed side of each of four bread slices; top each with 1 tablespoon sauerkraut and 4 ounces turkey. Top each sandwich with 1 cheese slice and 1 bread slice, dressed side down. Coat the outside of the sandwich (top and bottom) with cooking spray. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sandwiches to pan. Place a cast-iron or other heavy skillet on top of sandwiches; press gently to flatten sandwiches (leave cast-iron skillet on sandwiches while they cook). Cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned and cheese melts.
*Nutritional information based on 2 pieces of bread, about 200 calories for both. Deduct 100 calories if using a light bread containing 100 calories for 2 pieces.
Prep Time 00:10; Cook Time 00:02; Total Time 00:12; Calories 485; Carbohydrates 40g; Fat 7.5g; Protein 37g; Serving Size 1; Recipe Yield 1
Author Azucena Gamarra, MS, RD Contributor Adapted from Cooking Light