- - 1 teaspoon turmeric
- - 1 teaspoon mild and hot chili powders, combined as desired
- - 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- - 2/3 cup (approximately) water, divided
- - 1 ½ Tablespoons olive oil
- - 1 cup sliced onion, divided
- - 1 ½ pounds fish fillets cut into strips 1 ½ inches wide
- - Salt to taste (optional)
- - 1 ½ cups cubed tomatoes (or 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes)
- - ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley or 1 Tablespoon minced cilantro
1.) In a small bowl, combine the turmeric, chili powders, and garlic with enough water (about 2 ½ Tablespoons) to make a paste. Set the bowl aside.
2.) Heat the oil in a large skillet or flameproof casserole. Add ½ cup of the onion, sautéing it until it is lightly browned. Stir in the reserved spice paste, and cook the mixture for 30 seconds.
3.) Add the fish to the pan with the remaining ½ cup of onion, the salt (if desired), and the remaining water. Shake the pan to mix the ingredients. Add the tomatoes and parsley or cilantro. Simmer the ingredients over low heat for 5 minutes or until the fish is tender.
Calories 220; Carbohydrates 7g; Fat 7g; Protein 32g; Recipe Yield 4 servings
Author Recipe from Jane Brody’s Good Food Gourmet