- - Lentils:
- - 1 cup red lentils
- - 2 cups water
- - 1 onion, diced
- - 4 garlic cloves, minced
- - ½ inch ginger, minced
- - 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- - Handful of cilantro garnish
- - *Add protein source refer to plant protein handout (not calculated in nutritional facts below)
- - ½ tsp cumin seeds
- - ½ tsp black mustard seeds
- - ½ tsp turmeric powder
- - ½ tsp paprika or bafaat powder
- - 1 tbsp healthy oil (canola, olive)
- - Optional: ½ serrano pepper
1. Rinse lentils under cold water.
2. Place in bowl and soak in water for 30 minutes.
3. Drain lentils.
4. Add water, onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, pepper (optional), and lentils into saucepan.
5. Bring to boil on medium-high heat.
6. Lower the heat and cover the pan to simmer for 30-40 minutes until lentils are tender.
7. Combine cumin and mustard seeds.
8. Mix other spice powders in another bowl.
9. Heat 1 tbsp of oil over medium-high flame.
10. Add seeds and spices to simmering oil for 30 seconds.
11. Stir oil mixture and lentils together.
12. Place on serving dish and garnish with cilantro.
Prep Time 00:30; Cook Time 00:30; Total Time 01:00; Calories 189; Carbohydrates 28g; Fat 5g; Protein 10g; Serving Size 1; Recipe Yield 4
Contributor Food Network by Aarti Party (2010), http://www.foodnetwork.com