- - 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- - 1 onion, chopped
- - 1 clove garlic, minced
- - 1 teaspoon cumin
- - 1 teaspoon oregano
- - 1 teaspoon coriander
- - 1 carrot, chopped
- - 1 rib celery, chopped
- - 1 ½ cups cooked red or black beans
- - 1 ½ cups water or vegetarian soup stock
- - ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- - 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- - 1 teaspoon brown rice vinegar
1. Heat olive oil in a 4-quart soup pot. Add onion and garlic, sauté until soft.
2. Add dry spices and sauté briefly.
3. Add carrot and celery; sauté a few more minutes
4. Add beans and water, stir together.
5. You can puree all of the soup in a blender for a smooth soup, or puree part of it for a chunkier cream soup. Return pureed part of soup to pot.
6. Add cilantro, season with low-sodium soy sauce and vinegar.
7. Reheat before serving.
Calories 100; Carbohydrates 15g; Fat 2g; Protein 5g; Recipe Yield 6 servings
Author Recipe from Feeding the Whole Family by Cynthia Lair