- - 2 tbsp olive oil
- - 1lb diced chicken breast, no skin
- - 1 large onion , roughly chopped
- - 2 large carrots , quartered lengthways and cut into chunks
- - 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- - 2 tbsp ras-el-hanout spice mix (see tip, below)
- - 1 14oz can chopped tomatoes
- - 1 can chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- - 1 cup diced fresh apricots
- - 2.5cups low sodium chicken broth
- - Garnish:
- - ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- - 2 large handfuls coriander , roughly chopped
1. Heat oven to 350degrees. Heat the oil in a casserole and brown the chicken on all sides. Scoop the chicken out onto a plate, then add the onion and carrots and cook for 2-3 mins until golden. Add the garlic and cook for 1 min more. Stir in the spices and tomatoes, and season. Tip the chicken back in with the chickpeas and apricots. Pour over the stock, stir and bring to a simmer. Cover the dish and place in the oven for 1 hr or until chicken is cooked through.
2. Remove when ready. Prior to serving, garnish with pomegranate seeds and herbs.
Tip: Spice mix: Ras el hanout, a North African spice mix, contains cardamom, cinnamon, clove, coriander, cumin, nutmeg, turmeric and black pepper. Find it in larger supermarkets, or use a mix of the spices above.
Prep Time 00:15; Cook Time 01:15; Total Time 01:30; Calories 352; Carbohydrates 33g; Fat 10g; Protein 34g; Serving Size 1; Sodium 260mg; Recipe Yield 4
Author Acacia Wright, RD, CD