BLOG NUTRITION, FOOD
Error loading MacroEngine script (file: BlogPostSocialButtons.cshtml)
June 1, 2016
One Skillet Dish by Sarah
Error loading MacroEngine script (file: BlogPostImage.cshtml)
Quick and easy are two adjectives that come to mind when describing the perfect weeknight dinner. As well as delicious, family friendly, and well, nutritious! Providing a wholesome meal in less than 20 minutes may sound impossible, but not improbable. All you need to create a fast and tasty dish is some ground meat, non-starchy vegetables, and a little bit of creativity. The following recipe takes less than a half hour to put together and a simple dinner you can modify to fit any Stage!
2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, diced
½ tsp kosher salt
1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
1lbs ground turkey or chicken
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
16oz container salsa of your choice (ie roasted tomatillo, medium heat, etc)
¼ cup cilantro
1) Over medium-high heat, add olive oil to a large skillet/sauté pan. When oil is hot, add onion with kosher salt. Cook for ~3-5 minutes until translucent.
2) Add garlic and bell peppers to skillet and cook, stirring to prevent burning, ~3-5 minutes.
3) Add ground turkey to skillet, using the edge of cooking spoon to crumble meat in pan. Sprinkle spice mixture over meat and brown
4) Gently pour salsa over mixture, bring to boil for 1 minute, then reduce to simmer. Let cook until ground meat is cooked through, ~5 minutes.
5) Finish by sprinkling dish with cilantro and juice of 1 lime
Makes 4 servings
252 Calories, Total Fat 11g, Saturated Fat 2g, Sodium 700mg*, Total Carbohydrate 17g, Fiber 6g, Protein 25g
*Sodium will vary based on salsa variety
Stage 2 – enjoy over cauliflower rice
Stage 3 – sprinkle 1oz low-fat shredded Mexican blend cheese
Stage 6 – add ½ cup beans
Stage 7 – stir in 2/3 cup corn