BLOG NUTRITION, FOOD
August 6, 2014
New Recipes Without Grains
Looking for variety? For new recipes to try that are easy and healthy? How about ones that also do not contain grains? Sounds near impossible but we found these great ideas from fellow bloggers and were inspired. Try them out and let us know which end up in your weekly routine for new summer foods!
Strawberry, Goat Cheese & Tomato Salad (Stage 3)
Adapted from MyInvisibleCrown.com
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered.
3/4 pound assorted bite-size heirloom tomatoes, quartered
1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves, torn
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 ½ ounces goat cheese, crumbled (reduced fat ideal, such as Open Nature brand from Safeway)
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- Arrange berries, heirloom tomatoes in a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle with basil, lemon zest and goat cheese. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pot simmer lemon juice and balsamic vinegar over medium-low heat until it becomes a thick syrup, about 10-15 minutes.
- Drizzle over salad and enjoy.
Nutritional information, per serving: 120 calories, 4g fat, 2.6g saturated fat, 8mg cholesterol, 112mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 5g protein
Grilled Mushroom & Beef Kofta (Stage 3)
Recipe Adapted from TeaspoonComm.com
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Yields: 3 servings
Serving Size: 4 skewers each
8 ounces white mushrooms, finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons oil spread(such as Smart Balance brand)
2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
½ pound lean ground lamb(such as shank half leg variety)
½ pound lean ground chicken
For the Sauce:
1/2 cup Greek-style plain yogurt
1/4 cup chopped, bottled roasted red bell pepper
1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
1/8 teaspoon salt
- Melt spread in a large sauté pan, add mushrooms and sauté about 6 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Cool thoroughly (for a shortcut, cool in the freezer for a few minutes.)
- In a large bowl, combine mint, cumin, salt, pepper, lamb, chicken and cooled mushrooms. Use your hands to mix gently; shape into 12 oblong patties, optional: thread onto metal skewers.
- Heat a large nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat. Spray pan lightly with cooking spray. Add 3-4 meat patties to pan; cook 10 minutes or until done, turning occasionally to brown on all sides. Repeat until all lamb is cooked.
- While kofta cooks, prepare sauce: combine yogurt with peppers, mint and salt.
- Divide sauce between kofta skewers, and serve with your choice of vegetables and carbohydrate (fruit, lentil, etc.) for a complete meal!
Nutritional information, per serving: 280 calories, 14g fat, 4.5g saturated fat, 103mg cholesterol, 470mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 33g protein
Cauliflower Rice Fish Taco Bowls (Stage 4)
Adapted from Julie’sEatsandTreats.com
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yields: 2 servings
For the cauliflower rice:
For the mango Salsa:
For the yogurt sauce:
- Spray your grill with cooking spray and heat to medium heat.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Pat the Mahi Mahi (or other fish) fillets dry and divide the spice mixture between then, making sure to really rub it into both sides of the fish.
- Place on the grill and cook until white throughout, about 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- To make the cauliflower rice: Add the chopped cauliflower into a large food processor, and pulse ~10x, or until it resembles rice grain texture.
- Microwave cauliflower in large bowl for 2 minutes. Mix in the 2 Tsp of fresh lime juice and set aside.
- To make the mango salsa: In a medium bowl, mix together the chopped mango, red onion, cilantro, lime juice and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt and lime juice.
- Divide the cauliflower rice evenly between two plates. Top with a fish fillet and mango salsa. Garnish with chopped cabbage and sliced avocado and the yogurt lime sauce.
Optional: enjoy wrapped in butter lettuce leaf as a ‘burrito’
Make ahead tip: chop veggies and fruit (cauliflower, cabbage, mango and onion) ahead of time for quick assembling
Nutritional information, per serving: 390 calories, 10g fat, 1.6g saturated fat, 127mg cholesterol, 534mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate, 11g fiber, 40g protein
Enjoy these light, healthy and easy recipes. And share with us some of your favorite finds for summer!