BLOG NUTRITION, FOOD
May 28, 2014
BBQ Mocktails & Desserts
Just as the slow cooker gets dusted off each fall, it's time to take the cover off your grill and get ready for summer BBQ season to arrive! This can mean great healthy, easy and crowd-pleasing protein and vegetable options. But what do you serve alongside your chicken skewers, flank steak or grilled shrimp and salad? Here are a few dessert and beverages to try without compromising your healthy nutrition plan:
- Pineapple Strawberry Spritzer: Mix 4 oz. pineapple or pineapple-orange blend juice (unsweetened) with 10 oz. sparkling soda water and 1 c. ice. Garnish with 1/2 c. sliced strawberries. Optional: mint leaves for a refreshing kick!
- Tropical Smoothie: Blend mango (optional pineapple or banana as well) with low-fat, plain Greek yogurt and sweetener of choice (ex: liquid stevia) and ice
- Virgin Sangria: Combine equal parts pomegranate-acai or apple-cranberry unsweetened juice and mixed berry flavored sparkling water, plus diced fresh fruit (such as pineapple, orange, grapes) and ice
- Ginger Cooler: Mix 12 oz. diet ginger ale soda with 2 oz. orange juice, ice and 2 oz. sparkling water. Garnish with grated ginger and orange slices
- Blackberry Greek Frozen Yogurt: Blend 1-2 c. low-fat plain Greek yogurt with 1 tbsp. honey and 2 c. frozen berries. Garnish with lite whipped topping if desired
- Chocolate Cherry Avocado Pudding: Blend a large avocado with 1/4 c. unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 3/4 c. cherries, pinch of sea salt, 2 tbsp. low-fat mocha yogurt (such as Trader Joe's), 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder and vanilla liquid stevia (or sweetener of choice) to desired sweetness. Garnish with slivered almonds or cherry
- Grilled Banana with Honey Greek Yogurt: Brush grill lightly with oil and top with banana (or other desired fruit, cut lengthwise), grill until slightly caramelized. Serve with honey low-fat Greek yogurt (such as Oikos, Siggi's, Smari or Nancy's brands). Optional garnishes: mint, crushed peanuts or cacao nibs
- Watermelon Whipped Cream Cakes: Top slices of watermelon with lite whipped topping (such as TruWhip brand), slivered almonds and berries
What is your favorite way to please a crowd with a sweet treat or satisfying beverage? Share your recipes here!