BLOG NUTRITION, FOOD
January 8, 2014
On-The-Go Healthy Breakfasts
Breakfast: A meal that can be oh so important, but oh so inconvenient at times. If you're rushing out the door, or simply uninterested in spending all morning prepping food, try these on-the-go options, sure to satisfy your needs:
1. The Parfait: Combine low-fat or non-fat Greek yogurt, cottage cheese or ricotta cheese with fruit or whole-grains and nuts or seeds in a container for a healthy breakfast parfait.
Ex: 1 container non-fat Fage Greek yogurt + 1/2 c fruit + 1/4 c Kellogg's All Bran cereal + 1/8 c. slivered almonds
310 calories, 26g protein, 8g fat, 43g carbohydrate, 11g fiber, 143mg sodium
2. The Wrap: Combine a whole-grain high-fiber tortilla or wrap with low-fat cheese, egg whites or lean meat, avocado or olives and beans or fruit for a very filling and portable meal.
Ex: 1 La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious Soft Wrap + 1 oz. low-fat mozzarella cheese + 1/2 c reduced-sodium beans + 2 egg whites, scrambled + 1-2 tbsp. salsa + 1/8 avocado
330 calories, 30g protein, 12g fat, 38g carbohydrate, 20g fiber, 980mg sodium
3. The Picnic Meal: Combine fruit or whole-grains with low-fat cheese, hardboiled eggs/egg whites, lean meats and optional nuts or seeds in a container for a snack-like meal.
Ex: 2 Whole Foods 100% Whole Wheat Pita Mini's + 1 hardboiled egg + 1 medium apple + 1 oz. Cabot 75% Less Fat Cheddar Cheese + 5 walnut halves
330 calories, 20g protein, 13g fat, 34g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 416mg sodium
4. The Pancake Roll-Up: Combine a 20/20 High Protein powder shake with 1/4 c. liquid egg whites and 1/4 c. water in a small bowl. Stir until combined. Cook on medium-low heat on griddle until done through. Top with 1 tbsp. peanut or almond butter and 1/2 banana, sliced. Roll up and enjoy on-the-go!
Ex: 1 Vanilla 2020 High Protein Shake + 1/4 c. liquid egg whites + 1/4 c. water + 1 tbsp. Justin's Almond Butter
360 calories, 33g protein, 10g fat, 38g carbohydrate, 8g fiber, 381mg sodium
5. The Sandwich: Combine a whole-grain english muffin, bread or sandwich thin with eggs/whites, lean meat or vegetarian meat substitutes, low-fat cheese and optional veggies and avocado or low-fat mayo for a grab-n-go, easy breakfast meal.
Ex: 1 Thomas brand Whole Wheat Bagel Thin + 1 MorningStar Sausage Pattie + 1 Laughing Cow Mini Babybel Light Cheese + 2 oz. Reduced Sodium Columbus brand Turkey Breast + 2 slices tomato
307 calories, 35g protein, 8g fat, 29g carbohydrates, 6g fiber, 834mg sodium
Many of these options are not only easy to throw together & on-the-go for a satisfying morning meal, but also easy to put together the night before. Ex: the sandwich or wrap can be made the night before and quickly reheated in the morning.
Experiment with what options work well for your routine and your taste buds. Keeping up a high-fiber and protein breakfast will help you stay satisfied and on track with your New Year's healthy meal plan resolutions!