BLOG NUTRITION, FOOD
December 18, 2013
Healthy & Warm Slow Cooker Recipes, Part 2
Last week's list featured 3 recipes sure to please a chilly family during the winter season. Here are 3 more recipes using your slow cooker that will help you stay cozy!
Pumpkin Chili (Stage 7)
Recipe adapted from the inventive vegetarian.com
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 lb. ground lean beef, turkey or chicken
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 habanero pepper, seeds removed and diced (optional)
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 can reduced sodium cannellini beans
- 1 can reduced sodium black beans
- 1 14.5 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash nutmeg
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Cook onion, garlic and lean meat on medium-high on the stovetop until done through.
- Drain the beans and pour them, along with all the vegetables and meat/onion mix, into the slow cooker bowl. Add in the spices and pumpkin puree- and add enough water to fill the crock pot, and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Turn the cooker off when you’re ready to eat.
- Add ~1 c. hot water to thin the chili consistency, as desired. Add ground pepper to taste
Yields: 4 servings
Nutritional Information, per serving (using extra lean ground beef): 310calories, 5g fat, 520mg sodium, 47g carb, 15g fiber, 28g protein
Prep time: 20 minutes. Cook time: 6-8 hours.
Slow-Cooker Apple Cider Pulled Chicken Sandwiches (Stage 7)
Adapted from cupcakesandkalechips.com
- 1 large apple, peeled and sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. dry mustard
- ¾ cup apple cider
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- 16 slices, ~50-60 calories each, of whole-grain bread or baguette (such as Dave’s brand)
- 8 oz. reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (such as Cabot brand 75% less fat)
- Place the onion and apple slices on the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Lay the chicken breasts on top of the apples and onions, and sprinkle on the salt, pepper, paprika, and mustard. Pour the cider over the top.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until chicken is cooked through and shreds easily.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker, shred with two forks, and return to the slow cooker.
- Using tongs, toss together the chicken, apples, onions and cooking liquid until evenly distributed.
- Top one slice of bread with the shredded chicken mixture, 1 oz. cheddar, and top with the other slice of bread.
Yields: 8 servings
Nutritional Information, per serving: 345 calories, 8.5g fat, 645mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 39g protein
Prep time: 15 minutes, Cook time: 6-8 hours
Slow Cooker Wet Chicken Burritos (Stage 7)
Adapted from PreventionRD.com
- 15 oz. can no-salt-added tomato sauce (such as Muir Glen)
- 1 tbsp. taco seasoning
- 4 oz. can diced green chilies
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ c. dry instant brown rice
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ c. cilantro, minced
- 8, 100 calorie, large whole-grain burritos (such as La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious)
- ¾ c. part-skim pepper jack or mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ¾ c. diced tomato
- 3 c. lettuce
- In a slow cooker, combine sauce, taco seasoning and green chilies. Stir. Add chicken and turn to coat in the sauce. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Shred chicken from slow cooker with two forks, transfer to a large bowl and top with 3-4 tbsp. sauce from slow cooker, and put the rest of the sauce in a separate bowl.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Add lime and cilantro to rice, cover to keep warm.
- Add ¼ c. cooked rice to each burrito. Divide shredded chicken evenly into each burrito. Roll (folding sides in) and place seam side down on baking sheet. Bake for 5-7 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Divide remaining sauce from slow cooker among top of the cooked burritos. Top with 1/8 c. shredded cheese, 1/8 c. diced tomato and ½ c. lettuce. Serve with a serving of steamed or fresh vegetables, or green salad for a complete meal. Enjoy!
Optional: serve lettuce-wrapped and use cauliflower rice for a stage 3 entrée. Or use lean
ground beef or turkey vs. chicken for variety.
Yields 8 servings.
Nutritional information, per serving: 340 calories, 9.5g fat, 580mg sodium, 35g carb, 14g fiber, 37g protein
Prep time: 15 minutes, cook time: 6-8 hours
Slow cookers can make whole, family-friendly meals easy and extra flavorful. I hope you enjoy some of my favorite slow cooker recipes!
Image courtesy of: healthfulpursuit.com