BLOG NUTRITION, FOOD
December 11, 2013
Healthy & Warm Slow Cooker Recipes
Ice on your windshield and frost on the ground means colder weather. And where there's cold, there's an innate desire to warm up from the inside with some easy, healthy and tasty recipes. Here are a few of my favorites to try this week:
Char Siu Pork Roast (Stage 1)
Adapted from CookingLight.com
- 3 tbsp. lower-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 (2-pound) boneless pork center loin chop
- 2/3 cup lower-sodium chicken broth
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Place in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add pork to bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator at least 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Place pork and marinade in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove pork from slow cooker using a slotted spoon; place on a cutting board or work surface. Cover with aluminum foil; keep warm.
- Add broth to sauce in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Shred pork with 2 forks; serve with sauce. Stage 2 option: serve with stir-fry vegetables. Stage 7 option: serve with whole grain rice or quinoa and vegetables.
Yields: 6 servings
Nutritional Information, per serving: 250 calories, 7.2g fat, 480mg sodium, 9.5g carb, 33g protein
Prep time: 2 hours. Cook time: 8.5 hours.
Crock Pot Shirataki Chicken Noodle Soup (Stage 2)
- 24 oz. uncooked chicken breast
- 1 ½ c. chopped carrots
- 1 ½ c. chopped celery
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 c. water
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 packages (16 oz.) Shirataki tofu noodles
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp. thyme
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker except chicken breast. Place chicken on top, cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board, discard bay leaves and cover with lid cooking for additional 20 minutes.
- Cut chicken breast into desired thickness (cubes or shredded).
- Add back chicken and Shirataki noodles to slow cooker, and serve.
Yields: 4 servings
Nutritional Information, per serving (based on 19 oz. cooked chicken approx.): 253 calories, 5.8g fat, 14g carb, 38g protein, 542mg sodium
Prep time: 10 minutes. Cook time: 8.5-10.5 hours.
Crock Pot Shredded Buffalo Chicken Chili (Stage 6)
Adapted from ifoodreal.com
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 ½ c. chopped white onion
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1, 15 oz. cans of no-salt-added white or black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/4 cup hot sauce (such as Frank’s Original)
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. cilantro
- ~14.5 oz. can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- ~8 oz. can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 jalapeno, sliced (optional)
- 1 ½ lbs. chicken breasts, skinless & boneless
- Cooking spray
- ½ cup water (optional, depending on desired thickness)
- Preheat large skillet on medium and spray with cooking spray. Add garlic, onions, carrots and peppers and sauté for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a large crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients to the crock pot, except chicken. Mix to combine.
- Add chicken breasts and make them sink in and be covered with the rest of ingredients. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts, shred with 2 forks and return to the crock pot, cook for additional 30 minutes.
- Serving options: garnished with crumbled low fat feta or blue cheese, non-fat Greek yogurt or chopped cilantro and green onion. Add water for desired thickness.
- Refrigerate covered for up to 3 days or freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Yields: 4 servings
Nutritional Information, per serving: 350 calories, 5.3g fat, 38g carb, 10g fiber, 41g protein, 720mg sodium
Prep time: 20 minutes. Cook time: 4-8.5 hours.
Let me know what your favorite warm and comforting slow cooker recipe is! Stay tuned for next week when I will finish up with 3 more of my favorites for you to try this season.