BLOG NUTRITION, FOOD
November 20, 2013
Healthy Holiday Tradeoffs
A traditional holiday meal packs a walloping 2,000 calories and 87 grams of fat – per person! This does not include the other meals or beverages during the day! This year, why not learn about healthy Holiday alternatives and decide which tradeoffs you and your family are open to making.
A savings of 1,777 calories!
Other Healthy Holiday tradeoffs may include:
- ½ cup Mashed Cauliflower – 35 calories, 0.5 g fat
- 4 ounces Roasted Asparagus with olive oil and balsamic - 67 calories, 4g fat
- 2 Tablespoons homemade cranberry sauce - 40 calories, 0 g fat
- 3 Tablespoons Turkey gravy (made w/low sodium turkey broth) – 9 calories, 1 g fat
- ½ cup mashed yams w/orange juice + lemon zest – 77 calories, 0 g fat
- Grande Peppermint Tea with splash of nonfat milk - 10 calories, 0 grams fat
- ½ cup low fat Pumpkin ice cream - 150 calories, 5 grams fat
- Vegetables and low fat dip make a nutritious appetizer in place of heavy H’ors D’oeurves.
If replacing traditional Holiday foods with lower calorie fare isn’t an option, then remember portion control. Take smaller portions and remember to eat slowly and mindfully, so that you can truly experience and appreciate the taste and flavors these foods have to offer. If you are still hungry after the first round, then go back for more lean protein and vegetables.