BLOG NUTRITION, FOOD, WEIGHT, HEALTH
September 18, 2013
Fun, Healthy Snacks for Back to School
Looking for a fresh snack routine the whole family will love this school year? Here are a 10 ideas to get you started!
1. A medium Apple-Pear (newer, hybrid fruit variety) with 1 tbsp. almond butter. ~160 calories
2. 1/2 c jicama, 1/2 c yellow bell pepper slices and 1/4 c cherry tomatoes with 2-3 tbsp. edamame hummus (homemade or store-bought, such as Trader Joe's brand). ~130-160 calories, depending on hummus
3. 1 piece Doctor Kracker Pumpkin Seed Cheddar brand crispbread, spread with 2 light White Cheddar Laughing Cow cheese wedges. ~170 calories
4. 4 cucumber slices, stacked with 1 Babybel Light Mozzarella cheese round between 2 slices cucumber (to make mini "sandwiches"), served with 1/2 c white grapes. ~160 calories
5. 1/3 c Kind Oats & Honey Clusters w/Toasted Coconut brand granola, with 10 peanuts mixed in. ~180 calories
6. 1 ~6 oz. container honey Greek non-fat or low-fat yogurt (such as Stonyfield brand), with 5 walnut halves (optional: toasted + sprinkled with cinnamon). ~170 calories
7. 1 medium apple, sliced, and rolled up with 1 oz. reduced-fat cheddar cheese (string versions work well) in 1 oz. lower-sodium deli ham. ~185 calories
8. 3/4 c. shelled fresh edamame, topped with a squeeze of fresh lemon. ~150 calories
9. 100-calorie bag popped light kettle corn popcorn (such as Orville Redenbacher or Pop Secret brands), mixed with 1/8 c. unsalted pistachio nut meat. ~185 calories
10. 1/2 cup low-fat plain Kefir (such as Green Valley Organics brand), blended with 1/2 c banana slices, 2 tsp. natural peanut butter and 1/4 c. plain non-fat Greek yogurt. ~205 calories
With a little creativity, you can take old favorites and turn them into fun, new snacks that the entire family's sure to love!