BLOG NUTRITION, FOOD, LIFESTYLE, HEALTH
September 11, 2013
Cutting Unwanted Calories
So you've taken the first step towards better health and started keeping track of your food. That is great! But are you seeing that calories are consistently higher than you are aiming for? Try adjustments like these to your daily coffee routine, to make a dent in your intake without risking getting hungry!
Coffee in itself is not a high-calorie food. But calories from add-on's like flavor, milk or cream, whipped topping & the like can add up fast.
Here are some examples of popular coffee drinks from Starbucks Company, and how much exercise it would take to burn them off (based on a 150-pound female example):
- Grande Pumpkin Spice Latte (Starbucks brand): 380 calories, 13g fat, 8g saturated fat, 51g carbohydrates, 49g sugar, 14g protein. That's the calorie equivalent of 90 minutes of brisk walking!
- Grande Cinnamon Dolce Latte (Starbucks brand): 330 calories, 13g fat, 8g saturated fat, 42g carbohydrates, 40g sugar, 12g protein. Calorie equivalent= 35 minutes moderate cycling!
- Grande Tazo Chai Frappucino Blended Creme (Starbucks brand): 360 calories, 15g fat, 9g saturated fat, 52g carbohydrates, 50g sugar, 5g protein. Calorie equivalent= 40 minutes jogging!
But by being more specific about how you order your coffee, you can save big on liquid calories & not even notice! Here's how much (based on 16 oz. size):
- No whip You save approx. ~120 calories, 11g fat, 2g carb
- Non-fat milk You save approx. ~50 calories, 5g fat
- Americano vs Latte, milk as creamer (Ex order Americano w/Mocha, 1 inch steamed non-fat milk) You save approx. 120 calories, 15g carb, 5g fat
- Half flavor You save approx. 70-140 calories, 15-30g carb
As you can see, there are many ways to adjust your traditional coffee order and save big on calories, carbohydrates & fat.
Try something like a Tall Americano with 1 pump Pumpkin Spice flavor and 1 inch steamed milk vs. a Pumpkin Spice Latte this fall to stay on track!