BLOG NUTRITION, FOOD
August 21, 2013
5 Recipes, 5 Ingredients or Less
School is around the corner, which means busy schedules get even busier. Here are 5 healthy recipes to try this week, that won't set you back more than 5 ingredients each. Talk about quick & easy!
1. Lemon Dijon Chicken Breast (Stage 1) Recipe from Niall Bloom
- 4 each 6 oz. boneless/skinless chicken breasts, patted dry
- 2 TB Dijon mustard
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 TB minced fresh garlic
- Kosher salt/ pepper to taste
Add all ingredients (besides chicken and pan spray) in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Add chicken breasts and fold together to thoroughly coat chicken. Roast in a pan-spray seasoned pan at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes until cooked through (165 degrees internal temp). Serves 4-5.
Nutritional information, per serving (w/yield 4): 227 calories, 6.5g fat, 1.5g carbohydrate, 42.5g protein, 330 mg sodium
2. TLT Lettuce Wraps (Stage 3) Recipe Adapted from Clean Eating Magazine
- 6 oz. sushi-grade tuna, such as Ahi, pre-cooked and ready-to-eat (such as Whole Food's variety)
- 1 tbsp. Sriracha hot chili sauce
- 1/2 c. non-fat, plain Greek yogurt
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 head lettuce, such as butter leaf or romaine
Assemble slices of tuna and tomatoes on lettuce leaves. Mix hot sauce and Greek yogurt in a separate bowl until combined. Top each with equal amount yogurt mixture. Roll and enjoy! Yields 1 serving.
Nutritional information, per serving: 235 calories, 28g protein, 7g fat, 16g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 930mg sodium
3. Crab and Egg White Muffins (Stage 3) Recipe Adapted from Karista's Kitchen
- 14 ounces crab meat
- 1 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup liquid egg whites
- 2 tbsp. Italian herb blend (salt-free variety)
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 375F. Whip the egg whites until slightly foamy. Fold in the crab meat, cottage cheese and seasonings. Spray large muffin tin with spray oil. Then gently ladle the egg mixture evenly into 4 muffins. Place in oven on baking sheet, in case of overflow. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the muffins bounce back when touched. They will be slightly golden brown on top. Let cool, then enjoy. Optional: hot sauce to taste. Yields 4 servings.
Nutritional information, per serving: 180 calories, 2g fat, 2.5g carbohydrate, 37g protein, 661mg sodium
4. BBQ-Blue Chicken Sliders
- 4 oz. roast chicken breast, shredded
- 2 tbsp. BBQ Sauce (such as Stubb's brand)
- 1/4 c. sliced red onion
- 1/4 c. reduced-fat blue cheese crumbles (such as Treasure Cove brand)
- 100-calorie sandwich thins (Such as Oroweat brand)
Mix chicken, BBQ sauce, onion and blue cheese in a small bowl until combined. Place mixture in sandwich thin, and top with lettuce leaf or other desired vegetables. Yields 1 serving.
Nutritional information, per serving: 360 calories, 10g fat, 32g carbohydrate, 41g protein, 913mg sodium, 5.5g fiber
5. Quick Paneer (Stage 3) Recipe from Madhu Gadia's New Indian Home Cooking Cook book
- 15 oz. part-skim ricotta cheese
Preheat oven to 350F. Mix ricotta cheese with a wire whisk until well blended. Place in 8-in. square pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until liquid has evaporated. Cool completely and cut into 1/2-in. squares.
Nutritional information, per serving: 73 calories, 4g fat, 3g carbohydrate, 6g protein
Enjoy these quick but delicious recipes this week, and let me know what you think!