BLOG NUTRITION, FOOD, LIFESTYLE, HEALTH
May 22, 2013
5 Easy No-Cook Dinners
Let's face it: life stays busy in the summer, so we still need quick & easy meal ideas. Plus the spring and summer months can make your slow cooker/oven look less than desirable- who wants the extra heat?
Keep your house cool, and your body properly fed with these quick & easy, tasty no-cook dinner ideas. There are 5- enough for every day of the week!
1. Mediterranean Pitas
- 5 oz. canned high-quality crab (or chicken/tuna)
- 1 tbsp. non-fat Greek yogurt, plain
- 1 tbsp. olive tapenade spread
- ¼ cup sundried tomatoes, dry with no oil added, sliced
- 100 calorie whole-grain pita
Directions: mix crab through tomato ingredients in a bowl, and serve inside pitas. Include a side salad or fresh veggies like cucumber slices.
Nutrition info for recipe above (yields 1 serving): 340 calories, 38g protein, 30 g carbohydrate, 7 g fat
2. Sorta-a-Chef Salad
- 2 oz. lower sodium deli ham
- 2 oz. lower sodium deli turkey
- ¼ cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup canned corn (rinsed)
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 2 cups romaine lettuce
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinaigrette dressing (~50 calories per 2 tbsp. variety)
Directions: combine all ingredients in a bowl, tossing with vinaigrette, and enjoy!
Nutrition info for recipe above (yields 1 serving): 350 calories, 30g protein, 36 g carbohydrate, 10 g fat
3. Crunchy Tuna Salad, Picnic Meal Style
- 4 oz. canned albacore tuna
- 1 tbsp. fat free mayonnaise
- 1/8 avocado
- ¼ cup diced celery
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup diced bell pepper
- Whole-grain crackers, ~20 gram carbohydrate portion size
- Medium tomato, sliced
- 1 tennis-ball sized fruit, like peach
Directions: combine tuna through bell pepper in a bowl. Top crackers with tomato slice and tuna salad mix. Enjoy fruit on the side!
Nutrition info for recipe above (yields 1 serving): 390 calories, 34 g protein, 46 g carbohydrate, 9 g fat
4. Vegetarian Peanut Thai Wrap
- 3 oz. baked tofu
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup sprouts
- 1-2 tbsp. Thai peanut sauce, ~50 cal. portion size
- High-fiber whole-grain wrap, ~100 calorie portion size
Directions: add all ingredients to high fiber wrap, roll up & enjoy!
Nutrition info for recipe above (yields 1 serving): 340 calories, 28g protein, 46g carbohydrate, 11g fat
5. Classic Chicken & Cheese Sammy
- 3 oz. cooked chicken breast
- 1 slice reduced-fat jack cheese
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tomato slice
- 2 whole iceberg lettuce leafs
- 1 container low-fat fruit-flavored yogurt, ~130-150 calories portion size
- ½ cup cauliflower florets
- ½ cup broccoli florets
Directions: layer chicken, jack cheese, mustard and tomato on an iceberg lettuce leaf. Top with other lettuce leaf for a bread-less sandwich. Serve alongside yogurt and fresh cauliflower and broccoli. Enjoy!
Nutrition info for recipe above (yields 1 serving): 380 calories, 39g protein, 35 g carbohydrate, 11 g fat
Note: some of the recipes above have high sodium content, due to the use of shelf-stable options. Monitor this & remember to always use moderation within your meal plan! Ask your Dietitian for further information on this if you are interested.
Enjoy your easy, fast and balanced meal. And enjoy it without any on/off buttons on your kitchen appliances! :)
What are your favorite no-cook dinners?